Wednesday, March 25, 2009

truth in journalism


I believe that clear thinking and clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism.



...so goes a paragraph of the Journalist's Creed that we were made to pledge everytime we attend the Secondary Schools' Press Conference way back in high school.


Having been involved in campus journalism as early as Grade 5, I used to dream of becoming a journalist. I devoted time and energy as a staffer of the school paper of the public elementary and high school which I attended. I remember myself internalizing each line of this creed. It never occured to my young mind then that I would someday despise some people who are supposedly professional journalists.


Yep, I may have been too young and too naive then. Yep, I used to think that each of them are respectable professionals. Yep, now I think I was wrong.


It sounds ironic that a person who is supposed to be a journalist would talk about lies on the air especially when your station's name literally means TRUTH. It's so unprofessional for one person to say those lies right after an interview with a person who could possibly shed light or defend a particular issue. It's so UNETHICAL for a supposed to be journalist, to misinform the public.


Oh well..just another disappointment!


 

2 comments:

  1. louie2:17 AM

    sila ang mga taong akala nila na sila ang may monopoly ng katotohanan. sucks big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't blame you. I used to thread that path. Perhaps I was just too idealistic so I quit a job that perhaps the dream job of almost every journalism student.

    Suki ka rin pala ng nga Schools Press Conference. Pareho tayo ;)

    ReplyDelete