Friday, January 02, 2015

Super Heroes

My brother left Cairo with us to fetch his wife from work. What's amusing is that the boy is clad in this Spidey costume -- oh well, weather is still too cold and I guess the costume functions just like a pair of sweat pants and shirt. I noticed that Sammy (Ate's youngest son) is also wearing his Superman jogging pants, so I suggested that Daniel (Ate's middle child) also wear his Batman costume which he used last November for the trick or treat event at school. Daniel quickly rundown the stairs (we were at the roof deck) and voila, it seems like we're having a costume party! We even joked that Kuya Kit's (my brother in law) birthday tomorrow will be a superhero party (hehehe... let's see!).

www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Earlier tonight: my nephews Spider Man, Bat Man and bebe Superman.
Who doesn't, at one point in their life or another, love super heroes? I remember growing up with fantasies of becoming one of the Bioman (Yellow Four or Pink Five?), or applying to become Shaider,  "Ang Pulis Pangkalawakan." There is Kapteyn Barbel and Darna for the Pinoys, and well I think I have watched Christopher Reeves in Superman 2 a zillion times in Betamax (haha.. okay that number is an exaggeration but yes, I am that old to have witnessed the short stint of Betamax at popularity). Even the Quezon City Local Government's clean and green drive in the early 90's had then child star Atong Redillas as Kapteyn Linis, going around schools in Quezon City on board a float (it was actually a white truck with designs and streamers) with the Linis Brigade (a.k.a. the kids in white), advocating for -- oh, what else but cleaning up and greening the schools and communities. And yes, I spent teenage years dreaming that I am Bunny / Princess Serenity -- "ako si Sailor Moon, kalaban ng kasamaan, tagapagtanggol ako ng pag-ibig at katarungan! Parurusahan kita sa ngalan ng buwan!" Hahaha... don't bash me for being corny, I was just a kid then -- and hello, Tuxedo Mask! (LOL).

Well, we outgrow these fantasies but the memory and our love for them is here to stay I guess. Yes, we know that they do not exist, or that we are heroes in our own little ways so we don't need to rely on them, but we still enjoy watching them on theaters or videos at home; our heads still turn when we find them on billboards; and for those who can afford, stocking on super hero collectible items has even become a hobby. Want a proof? Look at these ladies with me!

We finally met at Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall last Wednesday (the last day of 2014) to visit Figaro and have our Coffee Club membership renewed (half a year in the making ito because of our work schedules and travels). On our way to Figaro located at the Theater Zone, I noticed one kiosk that sells plastic blocks (they have lots of other items but I am only interested in the lego-like blocks..hehe..my nephews have lots of it -- original ones or otherwise). Out of curiosity, I checked what items they have and voila, they have the classical superheroes! (hindi ko na kasi kilala yun mga legoman figures ng mga pamangkin ko..hehe..signs of ageing!) Ate Mel and Ate Hazel initially left me there because they went inside a shoe store (hehe.. this crazy girl is more interested in toys than new shoes), but after a few minutes they too approached the store and suddenly I find both of them asking for this and that super hero and trying to get the ones that I asked for earlier (they have limited stocks so they only have one item left for some of the classic super heroes). After paying for our loot, both Ates (take note, I am the youngest in this group so there, super heroes are for most generations huh!) excitedly walked towards Figaro, saying that we should assemble our toys there...

www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
12/31/2014. An afternoon with super friends..haha..
...and true enough, they seem more excited in playing with the toys than sipping their cups of coffee or eating our favorite cake, Little Oscar (that round cake in the picture above). Below are closer shots of our toys. That is Ate Mel's Batman and Ate Hazel's Wonder Woman; Bat Girl and Superman are mine (although Ate Hazel wanted to get him from me! haha.. She actually told the lady that she's going back to get one in two weeks time, when the stocks arrive). I also have my Bat Man but I didn't assemble it there. 

www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Hey, the superheroes are stepping on my Figaro Coffee Club card!


www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Bat Girl and Bat Man on the... how about the
coffee paper cup as a pedestal?

www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Super Man and Wonder Woman had their own photo op too.
oh is that my coffee cup???
In the midst of writing this post, I am reminded of my new toys (LOL) so I went downstairs and show it off to Jonathan (my eldest nephew). He immediately asked me if he could build Batman (haven't opened the package yet) and I said okay. While he is at it, Daniel went downstairs and checked on my mini figures too. Suddenly he blurted out, "Anong ginawa mo sa cape nila? Sa leeg dapat 'yan nakalagay, hindi sa arms, bakit mo ginawang backpack?" (Ako: nga nga! Alam ko naman na in real life, the cape is placed around the neck). In my defense, I told him that the head is already connected with the upper torso of the figure and it seems there's no way to place the cape there, and since it has two holes, I thought that it was meant to placed on the arms (look closely at the photos above). The boys are laughing at me by that time, telling me that the head can be removed so I tried removing it and, okay, they are right! Sorry, I am a mere mortal who also makes mistakes, am no super hero (LOL)! Below are photos of my mini figures, now wearing their capes correctly...
www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Batman, Superman and Bat Girl mini figures

www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Bat Girl's solo pic
www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Batman's solo pic..oh he drives a car, yes! 
www.nascentcharm.blogspot.com
Superman's solo pic. No, he doesn't drive a car;
but who needs one when you can fly, right?

Whew, I think I have to tell Ate Mel and Ate Hazel about the correct way of placing the cape on the super heroes tomorrow! hehehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment