Friday, August 07, 2009

On the Death of President Corazon C. Aquino

Since the former President died, I can't help but cry when ever I hear reports about what's happening at her wake and funeral. I remember one time, I was on board an fx, my daily commute to the office..they played a series of audio clips which I think were statements that she made before..then they played the song "magkaisa" which is also known as the people power revolt song. I just realized that I was on the verge of crying out loud. Anyway, I still can't help but feel the same until now. It's not that am a true blue Cory supporter nor was I among the crowd who trooped to EDSA in 1986. I was still too young then to understand what's happening. Perhaps I was just like my nephew, Jonathan who just felt bad that he cannot watch his dose of cartoons since every single local channel is airing their own coverage of the funeral. Back in 1986, all that I remember is that we don't have classes and that most of my childhood buddies' fathers were gone. They say that they are on red alert..most of them are members of the military. EDSA people power is nothing to me but color yellow and the "L" sign coupled with the song magkaisa and handog ng pilipino sa mundo (my bad, I am not even sure if those were the titles!). Cory Aquino was President when I entered Grade 1 until I completed my elementary schooling. I remember that her administration was not a perfect one and was often challenged. I remember the frequent brownouts due to power crisis. I remember the coup attempts, which back then was nothing to me but a time to marvel and revel on the fact that aircrafts which we, the kids in our gillage call the "tora-tora" are going to and fro on the sky above us. I remember the "burloloy building" which the way I understand it then was built to protect the President from those to try to assassinate her. I remember the libel suit vs the journalist who announced on air that the President is hiding under her bed. And I remember the campaign jingle of the Senatorial candidates in the election after the restoration of democracy. I remember those things, but not their significance in history. Yes, some were discussed in History class but then, no one ever said that History is my favorite subject back then. :)

Why am I crying over this event anyway? Perhaps because I am no longer the carefree child that I used to be. Perhaps because I am more concerned now. Perhaps because I just love this country and the Filipino people inspite of all.

1 comment:

  1. auieGerl10:53 PM

    ako nga rin eh...naiiyak. pero nung presidente pa si cory, wala kaming ginawa kundi tuligsain sya. eh ang tawag sa amin nun, mulat. pero kahit mulat, hindi ko nakita ang tao behind the president. only now i realized na mabuti syang tao. kahit na muntik na ako mamatay nung term nya sa mendiola massacre. at kahit sabihin ng friend ko na pinapatay nya ang mga sakada sa hacienda luisita. hindi talaga maiwasan na ang head or ang leader ang pumasan ng responsibilidad sa mga ganitong pangyayari. pero...sya ba mismo ang nagpapatay? sobrang laki ng duda ko. lalo na lumitaw ang mga testimonials kung gaano sya kabuting tao. at lola at that. sa palagay ko, kahit ang lola mo, hindi nya naatendan lahat ng importanteng event sa buhay ng apo nya at anak. sa akin, pamantayan yun ng pagiging mabuting tao - syempre, as all things are - it starts in the home.

    ReplyDelete