Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My take on Vice Ganda's "gang rape joke" on Ms. Jessica Soho

I stand by those who say that rape is not a joke -- it is a crime, a violation of human rights, a cruel act that bring negative impact on the life of its victim. What bothers me is the fact that there were people who laughed at it. The thought of someone being raped -- or gang-raped for that matter is not something to laugh about, no matter how ridiculous a person looks or how bad a human being that person is. No one wants and no one deserves to be raped -- no matter how a person appears, how a person dresses up, what a person does for a living, what social strata a person comes from -- whoever the rapist is.

I condemn the tasteless and cruel act, but not the totality of the person who did it. I know that what Vice Ganda did was wrong, but I do not know him personally and I do not know his life story so I wont judge him apart from the joke that he played on Ms. Jessica Soho. I wish concerned people, fellow advocates and all those who felt bad about the incident would point out the bad that he person has done, but never wish or curse that something even worst would happen to him, for if we do that, how can we face the world and say that we know better about human rights, that we are more just, mature and rational?

I admire and give my hats off to GMA 7’s Ms. Jessica Soho for her statement which I quote: "I thank all those who shared my hurt and expressed their support, but this should not be about me but about rape victims who suffer tremendously from this terrible crime. The horrors they go through are unspeakable and should never be taken lightly, especially by way of a cruel joke." [Emphasis supplied]. Only a rational person oozing with self-respect and dignity can stay calm, dig deeper into the core of the issue, and be able to turn the situation into something that hopefully, will make people realize the immeasurable negative impact of rape as a crime against persons.

Before finally posting this entry, I browsed through ABS CBN’s website to check if Vice has issued any statement regarding this, but what is featured there is about him saying sorry to the network management for his long absence it is because he went to the province to be with his Lolo. As I have said above, I do not know his life story somehow, I believe that there is goodness and love inside him, and maybe the reason behind that disappearing act is proof to that soft spot. 

I could only hope that Vice will have another realization, this time about the gang-rape joke. I hope he will be responsible and brave enough to apologize publicly, and inform the public that rape violates a person and no one deserves to suffer such cruel act. He too, can come out and speak against the crime because whether people who despise him accept it or not, he has his own power to influence people young and old alike, so I hope he can use that power to become a positive influence for those who watch and listen to him.#

No comments:

Post a Comment