Saturday, May 31, 2014

From My Notebook Series # 1 (and Introduction)

Since I started Kindergarten, writing or taking down notes has never been my favorite thing. Sometimes I do; more often, I don't. I don't remember a time when I got to write on every page of the required 100-leave notebook in primary education. Neither was I able to do that with my mini notebooks in college; back then, I scribble some notes on the margins of my text book or handouts..my notebook? Well, I do write on it too sometimes..but more often, I doodle. Don't get me wrong, I am not a delinquent or problem student (at least not to my knowledge! hehe..); I usually am a diligent student, save for those taking down notes or handwriting something tasks -- really, I don't like it! So thank you forever and always that personal computers, word processors and printers were invented and widely used now!

This "from my notebook" series which I am starting now is for the note-worthy thingies that I was able to write down -- on my notebook. If it is in my notebook, it must be worth sharing (unless it's a doodle or a note to remind me how handsome or how cute or how annoying my professor, my seatmate, my classmate, or whoever is that head-turning guy who passed by the door which made me forget that I am sleepy).

This is for the information that I want to share, and my thoughts about it. So here goes the first one:

In the Managing High Performing Public Sector Organizations Module, Development Academy of the Philippines VP Abanto shared significant lessons learned from high-performing organizations. What I want to share now is that, if we want our organization to become high-performing, we should NOT simply hire COMPETENT people; we SHOULD SELECT TALENTed people. Competency is something that can be developed or learned - sort of a mechanical or tactical thing; talent is something more unique or innate to an individual. For example, we can have two people undergo the same training (even together), but how well they capture and apply learning from that training will be different. Talent gives a person a certain level of competitive advantage --- uh-oh, well, IF and ONLY IF we recognize that talent should be given weight in assessing potential staff. So the challenge for managers is how to search for those talents. VP Abanto suggests thoroughly reviewing the person's background, inluding family background and subjecting the person to different challenges to see how he or she performs.

What's next after getting talented people? MOTIVATE them. How? KEEP THEM INVOLVED. "Employee INVOLVEMENT leads to MOTIVATED employees," my Prof. said, adding that involving employees require ENCOURAGEMENT from managers -- this is not an easy challenge!

Ooops, but there's more! An even greater challenge for managers is for them TO BE FAIR and APPEAR to be FAIR in their decisions. This is also a key to keep people motivated (read: avoid demoralization and dissatisfaction). "Remember that you may be fair in your decision, but you may not appear to be fair in the eyes of your own people," he said.

So, how do you exactly know you're doing it the wrong way? VP Abanto suggests using "employee opinion surveys" instead of "satisfaction surveys." I think this one really makes sense -- how can you expect them to write what needs to be improved when your survey is focused on asking them how satisfied are they with the way things are going? Honestly, how do you measure their level of satisfaction when they are not satisfied? I guess employees would think, "uhmm... can a negative score be added to the range that you've given?" Kidding aside, get real feedback, listen to them and do something about it.

"But, I think I am fair, I listen to them and I want all of us to improve!" Wow, really? So there should be no problem then, go on, continue to fool yourself as long as you want! Haha..Okay, I am being kind of sarcastic here so to keep me from saying anything more, I am ending this note for now.#

No comments:

Post a Comment